Thursday, February 23, 2012

How much does it cost to install solar cells in a typical American house, and when will it be paid back?

I am very concerned about global warming, and when I grow up (I'm fourteen), I plan on helping to solve the world's problems by looking into environmental research (college course options would be nice to include in your answers) and I'm wondering currently how much it costs to install solar cells and how long it will take to pay off.How much does it cost to install solar cells in a typical American house, and when will it be paid back?Yhis is a very complicated question. I won't be able to answer it, but will give you some things to think about.



First of all, I have a solar system. I installed it because I had enough money, and it was higher on my priority list than anything else. My first goal was to do it in the name of reducing my impact on the energy and ecology situations.



The second goal was to provide enough power to keep from buying power from the utility. I went overboard, and bought a system much bigger than I needed. As a result, and due to some changes in my life (I now live alone) I have been able to not only provide all the electricity I needed, but to heat the house with electricity instead of gas. I still have a gas water heater. In California, if you use more electricity than you make on any given day, you can feed electricity to the utility. If you are using more than you are making, you can take power from them. At the end of a year, you pay for any amount you used over what you put back in. They call it net metering. In addition, I pay a small monthly charge for the right to use the utility's system.



There are a great many things to consider when thinking of installing photovoltaic solar. Think of the roof. If it will have to be replaced in a year or so, it might be best to do both at once, or wait until time to reroof. If the system is to be mounted on the roof, worry about future leaks. They have to make a lot of holes when mounting the panels. Mine are over the garage and an overhang, not the attic. I did have a leak in the garage. Not nearly as big a deal as if it were over the attic.



At today's costs, it would take many years to break even on cost. Perhaps by the time you would want one, the costs of systems will have gone down. Surely the cost of power will have gone up. Since my system cut both my lighting and heating bills, my system will pay for itself in a shorter time. Also I will sell this house in a few years. The system will add value to the house, so that helps.



So when you are deciding, first define your goals. Write down just what you want the system to do. Then decide what you are willing to do without in order to have the system.



If you maintain your present attitude about the environment, I don't think it will matter what you study in college. That is, unless you plan to work in the area of environmental management. You will want to pick the kind of job you are interested in. If you are like my kids, you will change your employment goals more than once, as you mature and change your interests. Nothing wrong with that, as long as you settle on something. Let your parents in on your thoughts and goals. I hope they give you a free hand, but a lot of good advice too.



I didn't mean to write a book, but your question was a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment