Sunday, February 26, 2012

What would you think of a vegetarian/vegan who didn't care at all about the animals?

Suppose that this person adopted a vegetarian/vegan diet for reasons such as personal health or environmental impact, yet had absolutely no problems going on a hunting or fishing trip or wearing wool or leather clothes or using animal-tested products.





Would this person still be accepted in an active vegetarian/vegan community?





Would this person be treated any differently by other vegetarians/vegans, or even omnivores for that matter?|||Well, the person wouldn't be a vegan, even if they didn't eat any animal products. I also doubt that someone who adopted such a diet for environmental reasons would wear wool (if they did, they'd be very careful about their sources). Most ethical vegetarians and vegans, and even most hunters, would be horrified at someone hunting or fishing for fun and just killing an animal with no intention of using it, so someone who did that probably wouldn't fit in with many communities.





I suppose I wonder why they would want to join a vegetarian community, knowing that the vast majority of vegetarians will be discussing and working on issues that they would find irrelevant. It would sort of be like joining Chinese club just because you like Chinese food. For many people, vegetarianism encompasses much more than simply a dietary choice, just like an interest in a certain culture generally extends beyond their food.





I'm sure they'd be welcome at vegetarian cooking groups and potlucks. I have a pescetarian friend who is active in an online vegetarian cooking community. Even though she eats fish, she exchanges vegetarian and vegan dishes with vegetarian and vegan folks and they get along great. The issues of ethics and activism don't usually come up, and when they do, it's only in passing... kind of a "Hey, I came across this volunteer opportunity if anybody's interested" kind of thing. She obviously wouldn't be hanging out in a community that emphasized activism and education regarding the treatment of seafood animals.





So I guess I would say that it depended on the community in general. If it is focused on the dietary/health aspect of the lifestyle, then I'd say that it would be a good match for them. If it is about the environment, then again, it probably would work well (again, it would depend on their specific habits). If the community is primarily interested in animal rights or animal welfare, it would be a very bad match.|||The very definition of vegan precludes doing anything that exploits animals. So one who hunts or fishes, one who wears leather or uses products from companies that test on animals is not a vegan. Someone who adopts the vegan way of eating--consuming no animal foods--but does not embrace the lifestyle is a strict vegetarian.





As for how I'd react, it depends on the person. I would certainly disapprove of the hunting/fishing. It's bad enough when one is hunting for food, but when someone is hunting for "sport", that's really bad. My boyfriend has been veg longer than I have but still wears leather and wool and still buys P%26amp;G crap, and that's his decision.|||Personally I wouldn't give it much thought at all. People eat different diets for different reasons, including taste, religion, as a practice in discipline, health, or allergies. While I understand moral arguments for animal rights and collective responsibilities that impact society and the environment, I'm not really sure why we get so bent on what other people eat or don't or their reasons for it. If someone tells me they don't eat broccoli I accept they don't eat broccoli and don't serve it to them. I don't really question their motives.





But, they would not be vegan. Vegan, without a qualifying "vegan diet," refers to a lifestyle that rejects the use of animal products including for entertainment or clothing purposes.|||An enlightened vegetarian will accept human carnivores without judgment. The most socially retarded human carnivore may learn over time the value of a vegetarian diet. We are here not to judge but to provide others who are curious about a better way of being. The Washington State Vegetarian club welcomes all, vegetarian or not. Everyone is welcome to learn from each other.





Until recently, I fell into the vegan "just for health reasons" category. I was persuaded over time to see a veganism as an important part of a non-violent lifestyle. Now I realize that ethics is more important than simply my goal of achieving optimal health.





If you want to learn more about health benefits, I'd read Dr. Neal Barnard. The work of Dr. T. Colin Campbell is also remarkable. http://www.tcolincampbell.org.|||Well, there are many reasons for a person to change their lifestyle, so it's their choice how they are going to live this way of life. I don't agree with hunting or fishing, but I accept that it will happen no matter what I do. It's unlikely that they will accepted into certain vegetarian or vegan groups, especially those who chose to refrain from meat or other exploited products because of moral reasons.|||IS GOOD FOR YOU BEING A VEGETARIAN FOR VEGGIES ARE HEALTHY'' --- ALSO TO THOSE BEEF LOVER SHOULD EAT PICKED CUCUMBER, GREEN OR RIPE OLIVES WHILE EATING STEAKS, MEATS' ----- OR HIGH PROTEIN SEA FOODS'' --- LIKE ,HALIBUT' SALMON,TUNA,CRAB' LOBSTERS,SQUIDS, PRAWN,OCTOPUS.CLAMS,MUSSELS,SHRIMPS,OYST鈥?URCHINS,DEEP SEA SEAWEEDS %26amp; DEEP SEA FISHES,,,AND ACCOMPANIED WITH WINE BUT IN MODERATELY.|||No. Even if they don't realize it, they are doing the number one thing they can do to help our environment, the animals, helping to end world hunger, etc.





To some, this may not seem like the right reason, but in reality, we all work together. If you look at the heinous crimes committed in slaughterhouses and don't find it unacceptable, I personally don't understand that view, but if you go vegetarian, even with no regard for the animals whatsoever, you are still helping the environment and the animals, etc.|||I am not a vegetarian.


I would have little respect for a vegetarian/vegan hunter. I have no problem with hunting or hunters but if you are going to hunt it, eat it. Exeption would be for population control. But even then if it is edible and you don't want it find someone who does. I know hunters who donate meat to food banks.


A vegetarian hunter who does not waste would be ok with me.|||You ought to just try watching birds and animals yourself for a change, without any intention of hunting or harming therm, and you'll have your answer. Animals have a sixth sense about whether you might be after them, and quickly calm down when you just want to watch them and coexist. Man is very safe in nature, for the most part, and animals are a joy just to watch, and rather messy to catch and clean. Much easier just to find vegetable matter to eat...|||somebody who is that conscious of their body and environment simply wouldn't be obtuse enough to go on *wasteful* hunting trip. i would be surprised if they would go hunting at all, but it certainly wouldn't just be for sport - someone would have to eat it.





wool doesn't kill sheep. cows aren't killed exclusively for their hides, like other animals are for their fur.





i would say this person should be accepted into the veg*n community. they are still taking a stand against meat over-consumption.|||Vegans don't wear animals and etc. So if were speaking vegan here than yeah.


if they are following all the "vegan" rules. Than I don't care what their reason is, they are saving animals. if they like them or not.








But their are vegetarians that do fish etc and wear clothing from animals but love animals. So it's not any different.








I don't see why they should not be "in" the community. lol?|||Of course there are several different reason why people choose to go veg. In my experience I have never heard of anyone just plain not caring about the ethical reasons but, everyone is different. You cannot justify your reasons for being veg when you hunt and fish.. especially if it's for environmental impact. That's makes absolutely no sense considering those things are terrible for the environment.|||I suppose they might be amongst a minority, but that's still a good reason. If they just didn't like the taste of meat or will doing it to lose weight (but would immediately go back after losing), then they'd probably be shunned.





I do it for the animals, personally.|||on depends on a lot of things, im a vegetarian but i am a vegetarian for animal rights and for health reasons so i would probaly be accepted in a vegetarian community. idk if this person would, depends on alot|||if the person hunted/fished then no. But for the rest of the things yes that would be fine, there are a lot of people that are vegetarian for health reasons and not for the animals.|||I don't know because when people turn into a veg it's for different reasons.


I am a veg because of animal rights. Not health reasons, I'm skinny already lol.|||Then they're clearly vegetarian or vegan for some other reason.|||I wouldn't have a problem with it at all, but ae you intimate some communities would.|||Well, this person is vegetarian in mouth, but not in heart :)|||I would agree, because I don't care about the animals.|||I never became a vegan to fit in with some sort of community I did it for me.|||Who cares. One person ain't gonna make a difference.|||Some people may just be allergic to eggs and dairy-- it's their choice|||Their reason doesn't matter|||it doesnt bother me|||Actually that kind of describes me.


I don't like animals, I really don't like the hair, the smell, the poop, etc.


idon't MIND them, but I'm not really an animal lover like that.





I don't eat meat, fish, dairy, chiken eggs, nothing like that.


SOme people would say "oh , that's a vegan". But i don't label myself, I think it's silly., I certainly don't call my best friend "Nick, he's a carnivore".


I don't know why Americans have to go around labelling themself. But it seems to make them happy, as if they NEED to belong to some club, or identify themselves with some great blumming cause, or else they don't feel l like they're anything at all. They even do it with their family background "I'm Dutch Irish", "I'm Polish German", when they havent' even BEEN to Germany!





Anyway, since I don't go around with a "proud" label on my lapel at all times, I don't care if someone want to be so silly as to say these things about me. I don't eat these things for my own reasons, and one should assume vegan diets are only taken on my animal activists.


THAT would be very silly.





I wear wool, I detest fox and deer hunting and ANY hunting in fact. I hate people who hunt, I can't stand the bullrunning and bullfighting, and I would injurre someone if I saw thenm hit an animal, that doesn't make me an animal activist , or say I love animals in any way. I really don't.





If I knew someone who hunted and I do know people who hunt, I would be really pissed off with them, and make it known they are cruel and stupid. Still doesnot make me an animal lover. I would not be friends with them.


I wear leather and I eat honey. ( Hardly ever, but not because I pity bees).


I would wear ivory from an antique but think elephant hunting is the most despicable practise ever.|||I wouldn`t especially love `em, but after all it is their business.





We must always remember that most animals are only here to be killed and eaten by other animals. It`s nature. If this were not so, many carnivore animals would starve and become extinct.


Man is only another animal trying to survive. Also the way we kill many animals is a lot quicker and cleaner than most animals kill their prey.


Nature (which after all is another name for God) can be extremely cruel.|||Freaking hippes. Get a haircut, a job, and eat some real food.

No comments:

Post a Comment