Friday, January 27, 2012

How to support someone with a mental illness?

My boyfriend is a very important and dear person to me. I want to do my best to support him. He hasn't been "officially" diagnosed with hypomania ( a form of bi-polar disorder), but we know that there is some form of mood disorder there. He also suffers from anxiety disorder caused by environmental problems. I was looking for ways that I can really use to make him happy and feel better and to really support him. Any ideas? Advice on how to deal with this?



Thanks a lot! =DHow to support someone with a mental illness?I am bipolar and I have told all my ex's the same thing and thay have never listened, but in the event that he has an episode or "manic attack" don't try to figure him out. it normally will be brief and if you just let him ride it out in quiet, you will find that you will not fight as much. these disorders are not only mood disorders but also judgement disorders. anythng you say may trigger a negetive response and they will blow up at you, then later feel bad. Just step away let him watch tv, hug him, but don't say anything. It will be fine!!!How to support someone with a mental illness?I completely agree with Candle Man. My son is the same, with anxiety, depression and suicidal thoughts as a "bonus". Let them ride it out in safety, and just wait. Its hard just sitting back, so you will need to have a friend of yours that you can vent to about your concerns, bottling is really not helpful. Keeping positive (hard, but do-able) helps in their good times, telling them that you love them, being there either as a silent support, or for cuddles or talks etc, all helps them a little bit. Their self esteem can take a battering, and so can yours. But remember, if an episode happens, dont try fix it, but dont take on the responsibility for it. Its no more your fault than it is his.

There is also a whole bunch of support groups for you to go to, to talk to others in your situation for extra support and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment