Monday, January 30, 2012

Real Estate - Environmental Problem?

Hi There!



I am considering buying some land that use to belong to the Department of Defense. It appears there were some minor environmental concerns around 1999.



Here is my question: if I buy the property and someone later discovers a serious environmental problem, will I pay to clean it up?

Or will the owner which caused the problem be forced to clean it up?



I'm not looking for legal advice. Just a general idea how these things work.



Thanks!

RonReal Estate - Environmental Problem?The owner pays unless they can prove who did the contamination. It's risky, see a lawyer.Real Estate - Environmental Problem?Since the environmental problem is known and has been disclosed to you, you're buying the property knowing what you could potentially be getting in to so you would be the one who would have to pay for the clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment